Full course description
In this course, you will explore the key aspects of founding and/or
managing a nonprofit organization. You will define your mission, vision
and core values so that you have a clear concept of your organization
and how you present your work to others. You will also cover strategic
planning and market analysis to ensure that your nonprofit organization
has clear goals and fills a real need in the community.
In this expert-led course, you will cover essential, must-know information on:
- Creating your own theory of change and logic model to evaluate the effectiveness of your organization
- Recruiting and developing a governing board
- Hiring and volunteer management
- High-level financial planning
- Essential legal requirements for incorporating as a Limited Liability Company (LLC), filing for your 501(c)(3) status and obtaining an Employee Identification Number (EIN)
The assignments in this course will give you several options on how you can engage. You can (1) create materials for a nonprofit that you plan to begin, (2) develop plans for a nonprofit where you currently work or (3) build materials for a nonprofit where you might work in the future.
In this course, you will read foundational texts, examine core elements that all successful organizations share, apply your newfound knowledge to real documents and discuss the role of nonprofits within a larger context of social entrepreneurship.
- Define and create a mission, vision and core values for your nonprofit organization.
- Define and create a theory of change and logic model for your nonprofit organization.
- Analyze the recruitment and development of a governing board, and develop a governance plan.
- Identify key legal elements for managing a nonprofit.
- Create a hiring and volunteer management plan.
- Create a financial plan for your nonprofit organization.
Sally Sorte, M.A., M.P.A.
Founder of Academy 360
Sally Sorte founded Academy 360, a public charter school 501(c)(3) in Denver, CO. Sally served as Executive Director for six years and has recently transitioned to an Executive Consultant role for the school with a focus on finance and governance. Prior to this experience, Sally worked in education at Teach for America and business at Google. She is currently a guest lecturer in Social Entrepreneurship at CU Boulder and Colorado College, a writer for RealClearLife.com and a facilitator for New Politic's Answer the Call leadership program.