Full course description
Our Craft Cidery Startup Workshop offers an enriching and accelerated path to help ensure your own business is a success. Taught by seasoned professionals and some of the Pacific Northwest's biggest names in the industry, this workshop walks participants through the basics of creating a hard cider business plan, understanding market feasibility, ingredient sourcing and recipe development, site planning and equipment design, local and national regulations, and distribution and marketing.
Held in Portland, OR over the course of five days, classroom sessions and cidery tours will arm you with the knowledge and inspiration to start your own successful cider operation.
Oregon State University has played a central role in advancing the field of fermentation sciences, as well as helping entrepreneurs learn how to start breweries and cideries and find their own unique place in the craft beverage business with their own distinctive brands.
According to the NW Cider Association's annual report,demand for high-quality ciders made in the Pacific Northwest has grown 30% year-over-year in 2019 and this trend in rising interest is expected to grow in the coming years. More than ever before, the time is now and opportunity is right for entrepreneurs to learn how to start their own cidery and find their unique place in the craft business, and OSU is here to help guide the way. Since 2014, participants in our Craft Cidery Startup workshop have launched some of the most successful startups in the industry and we're excited to introduce you to some of them!
Included in your course price is a 1-year membership to the Northwest Cider Association, a $200 value! Click here to learn more about the NWCA membership benefits.
Course Format 4.0 Units (40 contact hours)
Course Location: OSU Portland Center, 555 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204
Class: June 23, 2019 (Sunday) from 9:00am - 4:00pm
Excursion: Tap Takeover, Loyal Legion, 710 SE 6th, Portland, OR 97214 from 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Class: June 24, 2019 (Monday) from 9:00am – 4:00pm
Excursion: Portland Cider Company Facility Tour and Tasting, 8925 SE Jannsen Rd, Bldg. F, Clackamas, OR 97015 from 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Class: June 25, 2019 (Tuesday) from 9:00am – 4:00pm
1) Reverend Nat's Hard Cider Tour with Nat West,1813 NE 2nd Ave, Portland, OR 97212 from 4:30pm - 6:30pm
2) Cider for the Win, Rose City Book Pub, 1329 NE Fremont, Portland, OR 97213 from 7:30pm - 9:30pm
Class: June 26, 2019 (Wednesday) from 9:00am – 4:00pm
1) City Cider Tour and Tasting with Instructor, Zeb Dewar, 1856 Beer Wine Cider, 1465 NE Prescott St., Portland OR 97211
2) Portland Cider Company, Cider 201 Course, 919 NW 23rd Ave, Portland OR 97210
Excursion: June 27, 2019 (Thursday) from 9:00am – 4:00pm
All-Day Field Trip to Bauman's Cider Company, 12989 Howell Prairie Rd. NE, Gervais, OR 97026
- Recognition of craft hard cider making opportunities in your community
- Process to create a sustainable cidery business plan
- Development of capital and infrastructure including sourcing ingredients and brewing equipment
- Entrepreneurial insights from local cidery owners
- Current trends in the cider industry
- Elements of a successful cidery business and management culture