Full course description
Swift is an innovative programming language created by Apple for building everything from mobile apps to desktop software to services in the cloud. It’s designed to let anyone write programs that are safe by default, yet extremely fast. Swift is easy to use and open source, so anyone with an idea can create something incredible.
Apple’s Intro to App Development with Sift is designed to help build a solid foundation in programming fundamentals using Swift. In this course we will introduce teachers to fundamentals of programming and basic app development. After completing this course teachers will be prepared to teach the Intro to App Development curriculum. This course will provide materials to help teachers plan and implement their Intro to App Development course. This course is intended for teachers with limited app development experience as well as the complete beginner.
Even if you have no programming experience, this expert-led course will teach you the basics of Swift and Xcode. You'll cover the same curriculum that you can later teach your students on how to be an app developer as you choose between two basic iOS apps to build.
After building a base knowledge and familiarity with the coding language Swift, you will move on to building mini projects and testing your code in playgrounds. At the end, you will build a fully functional app of your own design.
Oregon State Instructors Make a DifferenceThis course is led by Oregon State University employees in the Center for Applied Systems and Software in the College of Engineering. You will learn directly from experts in the field doing this kind of work on a daily basis. Additionally, you will have their ongoing support after the workshop to ensure your continued success.
- Teachers wanting to take this class should have basic computer skills. MacOS knowledge or experience is not required.
In order to take this class teachers will need to have an Apple Computer (MacBook, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac desktop, etc.). We also suggest that teachers have the following materials installed and ready to use on their Mac:
- XCODE version 9
- Intro to App Development with Swift
- Intro to App Development With Swift Teacher Guide
- Understand why teaching programming to high school students is beneficial.
- Utilize basic MacOS Capabilities to deliver the course content to their students.
- Know how to access the Apple Intro to App Development with Swift curriculum, materials and resources.
- Effectively utilize the Apple Intro to App Development with Swift curriculum, materials and resources.
- Use tools and techniques to deliver a Playground-based lesson to their class.
- Use tools and techniques to deliver an Xcode-based lesson to there class.
- Manage an Apple App Development Project.
- Have an awareness of the App Development with Swift curriculum.
Thomas is a Systems Development Engineer at Center for Applied Systems and Software (CASS). Thomas got his start as a student developer working at CASS. He specializes in developing web application, mobile apps, and cloud architecture. He also has a passion for learning and helping others learn. He is married to a teacher and has some exposure to the world of education. His wife teaches 6th grade science and math. Thomas is currently pursuing a B.S. in computer science with a minor in business. He plans to graduate in summer of 2019. In his private life, Thomas enjoy spending time with his wife and animals. He has a dog, a cat, six chickens and two bunnies. He also enjoys working on his house as well as various sports. Thomas enjoys golf, tennis, disk golf, cycling and snowboarding. He also enjoys Doctor Who, Star Trek and Star Wars.